Applied Data Scientist, Precision Farming
Optronia lives at the intersection of technology, data science and nature.
Our mission is to make optical sensor technology useful to protect our climate, wildlife and environment.
Our team combines expertise in vision, artificial intelligence and agrotechnology. Our sensors help farmers to improve profitability, protect biodiversity, refuce pesticide usage and capture valuable plant-by-plant data.
We offer exciting opportunities in a multinational work environment with English as our company language.
As a Data Scientist, you will be part of an energetic team of embedded system engineers, computer vision scientists and agronomy experts. Based on field data, we create sensors and Al algorithms for the future of agrotechnology. To enable real-world impact, you will deliver key analysis for motivating product direction and work closely with agronomists to deliver user-facing tools and insights. The role will include tasks in the following areas:
- Implementing deeo-learning-based classification systems for identifying, characterizing and classifying plants.
- Exploring and developing new methods for improving detection performance.
- Working with customers to develop machine learning piplines for computer vision and sensor based classification tasks.
- Work with large, complex data sets. Solve difficult, non-routine analysis problems, handle data challenges from a real-world setting.
- Organize, analyze and combine field data from vision systems and optical sensors.
- Implement analysis tools and algorithms required to conduct statistical research and data driven analysis.
- Develop workflows for machine learning including labelling, training/test set development cadence, model release criteria and data quality.
- Communicate highly technical results and methods clearly, as well as interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams.
- MS or PhD in a quantitative discipline (i.e. data science, computer vision, machine learning, applied mathematics or similar).
- Advanced proficiency in Python, solid C++ coding skills.
- 3+ years in developing data science models, deep learning algorithms and/or computer vision.
- Proven ability in deploying machine learning systems to solve real-world problems.
- Excellent communication and teaming skills, agile mindset and experience with Scrum methods..
- Experience with embedded systems (ARM Cortex MCU) and GPU-based technologies.
- In-depth knowledge of neural networks and deep learning frameworks including Tensorflow, PyTorch or MxNet.
- Familiar working with both SQL and non-SQL databases.
- Expertise in agronomy (interaction with environment, plants, farming practices, etc.)
- Eager to work in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment with constantly evolving requirements.
Salary will be determined based on professional experience.
The formal minimum salary according to Austrian Collective Agreement is EUR 40188 p.a.
The position will be based in Innsbruck (AT) and/or Trento (IT).
We look forward to receiving your application at email@example.com.